Since 1991, MQFF has proudly supported local queer filmmaker through its various awards and prizes.
In 2019, we launched an exciting initiative; our pitch competition called Pitch, Pleez! This prize offered Australian LGBTIQ+ filmmakers the opportunity to create original content by assisting the production of a short fiction, documentary or web series pilot. The winning pitch addressed MQFF’s central values of celebrating and showcasing proudly different queer stories in an Australian context.
Applications for Pitch, Pleez! 2021 are open now and successful finalists will be notified in early March. The selected individual or team will then be required to participate in an open session pitch-off event to be held in front of a jury of industry experts and a live audience during MQFF Together.
2021 Key Dates
- Applications Open: Friday, 22 January 2021.
- Application Close: Thursday, 25 February 2021
- Finalists Notified: Monday, 1 March 2021
- Public Pitch-Off: Sunday, 14 March 2021
The winning team or individual will be awarded the following:
- • $10,000 cash prize to help fund the project
- • All-In-Pass to the 2021 Melbourne Queer Film Festival (late 2021)
2021 Application Criteria
Your completed application form must address the following requirements:
- 1. Types of projects being considered – Short fiction, documentary or web series pilot
- 2. Project length 15 mins maximum
- 3. The project must have relevant LGBTIQ+ themes and subject matter
- 4. Must identify LGBTIQ+ people working on the project
- 5. The applicant or applicants must be over 18 and Australian residents to apply
- 6. A current draft of the script formatted to industry standards
- 7. A synopsis (200 words or less)
- 8. Applicants must own the rights to the story they are pitching
- 9. A detailed budget breakdown (if the project exceeds $10,000, evidence of where the additional funds or in kind support will come from)
- 10. Screener links to any of the director’s or key team member’s previous projects
- 11. Relevant CVs for all the applicants
- 12. Agreement to MQFFs terms and conditions
MQFF strongly encourages diversity in front of and behind the camera, so please keep this in mind when creating your pitch.
View the terms and conditions for the 2021 Pitch, Pleez! competition here
Click here to apply for the 2021 Pitch, Pleez! competition