MQFF has proudly supported and fostered local queer filmmaking talent through its various awards and prizes, over its 30 years.
In 2019, we launched an exciting new initiative and prize, pitch competition – Pitch, Pleez! This prize offered Australian LGBTIQ+ filmmakers the opportunity to create original content by assisting the production of a short fiction, documentary or web series pilot. The winning pitch addressed MQFF’s central values of celebrating and showcasing proudly different queer stories in an Australian context.
Applications for Pitch, Pleez! 2020 are open now and successful finalists will be notified in early March next year. The selected individual or team will then be required to participate in an open session pitch-off event to be held in front of a jury of industry experts and a live audience during the 2020 Melbourne Queer Film Festival.
2020 Key Dates
- Applications Open: Monday, 25 November 2019.
- Application Close: Monday, 17 February 2020
- Finalists Notified: Friday, 6 March 2020
- Public Pitch-Off: Sunday, 15 March 2020
The winning team or individual will be awarded the following;
- A $10,000 cash prize to help fund the project
- An All-In-Pass to the 2020 Melbourne Queer Film Festival
- A Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K, and DaVinci Resolve Studio software.
2020 Application form
Your completed application form must address the following requirements:
- Types of projects being considered – Short fiction, documentary or web series pilot
- Project length 15 mins maximum
- The project must have relevant LGBTIQ+ themes and subject matter
- Must identify LGBTIQ+ people working on the project
- The applicant or applicants must be over 18 and Australian residents to apply
- A current draft of the script formatted to industry standards
- A synopsis (200 words or less)
- Applicants must own the rights to the story they are pitching
- A detailed budget breakdown (if the project exceeds $10,000, evidence of where the additional funds or in kind support will come from)
- Screener links to any of the director’s or key team member’s previous projects
- Relevant CVs for all the applicants
- Agreement to MQFFs terms and conditionsMQFF strongly encourages diversity in front of and behind the camera, so please keep this in mind when creating your pitch.