Since 1991, MQFF has proudly supported local queer filmmaker through its various awards and prizes.
In 2019, we launched an exciting initiative; our pitch competition called Pitch, Pleez!
This prize offered Australian LGBTIQ+ filmmakers the opportunity to create original content by assisting the production of a short fiction, documentary or web series pilot.
The winning pitch addressed MQFF’s central values of celebrating and showcasing proudly different queer stories in an Australian context.
Winners of Pitch, Pleez!
by Laura Nagy & Sarah Christie
A Big Life
by Ana Brownfield
How to be Queer
by Clare Cavanagh & Alexandra Morgan
by Andrew Mills
Could it be you?
The winning team or individual will be awarded the following:
- • $10,000 cash prize to help fund the project
- • All-In-Pass to the 2021 Melbourne Queer Film Festival (late 2021)
- • Blackmagic Design Pocket Cinema Camera 6K
Proudly sponsored by
Your completed application form must address the following requirements:
- 1. Types of projects being considered – Short fiction, documentary or web series pilot
- 2. Project length 15 mins maximum
- 3. The project must have relevant LGBTIQ+ themes and subject matter
- 4. Must identify LGBTIQ+ people working on the project
- 5. The applicant or applicants must be over 18 and Australian residents to apply
- 6. A current draft of the script formatted to industry standards
- 7. A synopsis (200 words or less)
- 8. Applicants must own the rights to the story they are pitching
- 9. A detailed budget breakdown (if the project exceeds $10,000, evidence of where the additional funds or in kind support will come from)
- 10. Screener links to any of the director’s or key team member’s previous projects
- 11. Relevant CVs for all the applicants
- 12. Agreement to MQFFs terms and conditions
MQFF strongly encourages diversity in front of and behind the camera, so please keep this in mind when creating your pitch.
View the terms and conditions for Pitch, Pleez! competition here