2023 APPLICATIONS HAVE NOW CLOSED.
Since 1991, MQFF has proudly supported local queer filmmakers through its various awards and prizes.
In 2019, we launched an exciting initiative; our pitch competition called Pitch, Pleez!
This prize offers Australian LGBTIQ+ filmmakers the opportunity to create original content by assisting the production of a short fiction, documentary or web series pilot. The winning pitch will address MQFF’s central values of celebrating and showcasing proudly different queer stories in an Australian context.
Applications for Pitch, Pleez! 2023 have closed! Successful finalists will be notified by Friday, 21 April 2023. The selected individual or team will then be required to participate in an open session pitch-off event to be held in front of a jury of industry experts and a live audience on Wednesday, 3 May*.
*Subject to change.
Winners of Pitch, Pleez!
by Laura Nagy & Sarah Christie
A Big Life
by Ana Brownfield
How to be Queer
by Clare Cavanagh & Alexandra Morgan
We’re Doing Well
by Andrew Mills
by Morgan Flint & Jamie Tram
by Sophie Saville
The winning team or individual will be awarded the following:
- • $10,000 cash prize to help fund the project
- • All-In-Pass to the 2023 Melbourne Queer Film Festival (Nov 9 – Nov 20)
Proudly sponsored by
Your completed application form must address the following requirements:
- 1. Types of projects being considered – Short fiction, documentary or web series pilot
- 2. Project length 15 mins maximum
- 3. The project must have relevant LGBTIQ+ themes and subject matter
- 4. Must identify LGBTIQ+ people working on the project
- 5. The applicant or applicants must be over 18 and Australian residents to apply
- 6. A current draft of the script formatted to industry standards
- 7. A synopsis (200 words or less)
- 8. Applicants must own the rights to the story they are pitching
- 9. A detailed budget breakdown (if the project exceeds $10,000, evidence of where the additional funds or in kind support will come from)
- 10. Screener links to any of the director’s or key team member’s previous projects
- 11. Relevant CVs for all the applicants
- 12. Agreement to MQFFs terms and conditions
MQFF strongly encourages diversity in front of and behind the camera, so please keep this in mind when creating your pitch.
View the terms and conditions for Pitch, Pleez! competition here